Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Bad Start

We love our Hampton Inn but we ventured out to eat tonight. We chose a Ruby Tuesday on Military Hwy. in Norfolk. Bad choice, very bad choice. When they only had one cold glass of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay we should have left. (we both wanted a glass). I ordered an ap., salad bar and chili. Carole wanted a Caesar salad and a couple of mini burgers. I served myself from the well stocked salad bar but 20 minutes later nothing else had come. Finally my spring rolls came then about 20 minutes later, after Carole cancelled her salad her burgers and my chili showed up. The burgers were medium rare not medium well as ordered, the chili was good but it was too late. I stopped the waitress, canceled a second wine order and asked for the check. She asked what was wrong and I asked again to be brought the check. She came back with a manager who asked how the meal was and I asked again to be brought the check. She insisted so I explained in fairly blunt terms how lousy the service was and that I just wanted to leave. I wasn't asking for anything but to pay what we owed. She explained that it had been a bad night. They were out of a lot of stuff and she apologized. I asked again for the check.
When she left the table next to us asked Carole if they had caused any trouble. We laughed and explained why we where unhappy. They related that they had tried to order steak and baked potato only to be told that neither was available. They had waited 30 minutes for ketchup for their fries and longer for their meals. I think when we left they may have asked to see the same harried manager.
Here's the punch line. The manager brought the check explaining that she had comped the food but had to charge for the alcohol. I paid the tab and tipped the server based on what the bill would have been if it had included food. When we got to the car Carole pointed out that the bill for alcohol had included 2 glasses of wine that we had never recieved!!!
Oh well, not a propitious start but I have to believe it will get better.
I have a short list of places in Key West to try. Some we have been to others are new. Thats the next post.

No comments: